My Ambitious #Wikathon TBR

Aug 4, 2020

wikathon buwan n wika filipino readathon august

Hello! I apologize for my weird, impromptu blogging hiatus last month after a blogging streak in June, but I am back for the Wikathon readathon which takes place all month long! As a Filipino American, I'm so excited to celebrate Buwan n Wika and read more books by Filipino authors and support their work. Read on to find out more about the readathon, the prompts, and what I plan to read. I hope y'all will join along or perhaps check out readers Filipino book recommendations!

What is Wikathon?


Hosted by Kate (Your Tita Kate), Gerald (Gerald the Bookworm), Kat (Her Bookish Side), Alex (Alex on the Block) and Julienne (Love, Julienne), Wikathon is an annual month-long readathon during the month of August to commemorate Buwan ng Wika (roughly translates to "month of languages") in the Philippines, and is dedicated to Filipino authors and their stories. It's a big, fun event in the Philippines that celebrates the 170+ Filipino languages, as well as culture and food. 😊

The Prompts


wikathon filipino authors buwan ng wika


My T B R


Filipino SFF


enlightenment filipino american fantasy  wicked as you wish filipino legend retelling

Enlightenment by Reno Ursal [reread]

Wicked As You Wish by Rin Chupeco [reread] | This book means so much to me so you know I'm using this readathon to reread it again. No shame.

Filipino LGBTQ+


my heart underwater YA wlw f/f contemporary romance  my fake canadian wife wlw f/f fake wife trope filipino brazilian characters

My Heart Underwater by Laurel Flores Fantauzzo (f/f) 🌈 [reread] | I've read an eARC in May and I want to reread this again for this prompt. Hopefully I'll get a better enjoyment the second time around.

My Fake Canadian Wife by M. Hollis (f/f) 🌈 [reread] | I just love M. Hollis' f/f romances, they deserve to be reread over and over again.


New To Me


trese filipino comics  the secrets that we keep filipino anthology thriller suspense

Murder on Balete Drive (Trese #1) by Budjette Tan, Kajo Baldisimo | I've heard about this comic since it was announced that Netflix has picked up an adaption for the streaming service, and put in my request for it on Netgalley. I am super excited to dive into this comic series! (Also, when are we getting this adaption, Netflix?)

The Secrets That We Keep (A #HeistClub New Blood Anthology), edited by Georgette S. Gonzales | I've heard that this thriller/suspense anthology was good and the vague summary intrigued me, so I'm all in for this.

The Modern Pinoy


what things mean filipino contemporary filipino author  stealing luna carla de guzman art heist filipino royalty bodyguard second chance romance the hour of daydreams renee macalino rutledge filipino author underrated book

What Things Mean by Sophia N. Lee

Stealing Luna by Carla de Guzman [reread] | I love this Filipino royalty series. Stealing Luna involves an art heist and bodyguard second chance romance.

The Hour of Daydreams by Renee M. Rutledge [reread]


Filipino Diaspora


i was their american dream graphic memoir biracial filipino egyptian muslim immigrant  vampires of portlandia jason tanamor filipino american urban fantasy aswang in portland oregon

I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir by Malaka Gharib | This is a graphic memoir of the authors biracial (Filipino and Egyptian) Muslim immigrant experience.

Vampires of Portlandia by Jason Tanamor [reread] | This can probably also apply to the Filipino SFF prompt as well.

S2pid Love


what you wanted mina v esguerra filipino contemporary romance  north to you tif marcelo filipino american food truck contemporary romance bay area 

What You Wanted by Mina V. Esguerra | I need to get back into the romance genre and Mina V. Esguerra always provides.

North to You by Tif Marcelo [reread] | It's time for a reread of this fun Filipino American food truck romance.


Saraling Wika


Read a book in any Filipino language!

I only know Tagalog and Bisaya so bear with me as I pick the two books I've read, and will reread for this prompt, both written in Tagalog.


one lovely summer day amae dechavez filipino books in tagalog  fall for grace anne plaza filipino author filipino contemporary romance

One Lovely Summer Day by Amae Dechavez [reread]

Fall for Grace by Anne Plaza [reread]

Hosts' Choice


bagay tayo jerry b gracio filipino author filipino book queer lgbtq mlm

Bagay Tayo by Jerry B. Gracio ðŸŒˆ | This can also apply to the Filipino LGBTQ+ and saraling wika prompts as well.



While celebrating Filipino languages and authors this month, it's also imperative to take the time to inform yourself with what's happening in the Philippines with the newly passed Anti-Terrorism Law that puts dissenting Filipinos in danger, and ways to help from wherever you are. Also, support Filipino stories and authors all year round, not just during Buwan ng Wika!

Sign petitions (it's free), donate to funds (if/when/however much you can), email Philippine lawmakers (email scripts/addresses/tools included), amplify Filipino voices and more with the following cardds: junkterrorbill.carrd.co and parasapinas.carrd.co


♥ Are you joining in wikathon?
If so, what do you plan on reading? ♥

Post a Comment

empty kingdom. Design by Berenica Designs.